Second Travel Infographic I Published
I spent quite some time creating another infographic. This time I used the free version of Piktochart and didn’t try to use the program (website service) I paid for. Things went rather smoothly this time as far as the actual making of the infographic. This time I was able to upload a few images, unlike the problems I encountered on my first infographic.
This infographic is also about travel. Because the limit of the free version is only 10 images I was reluctant to use very many of them. Because of this the finished product doesn’t look as nice as it could have had I used more images. I opted to use quite a few of their symbols. However as mentioned in the previous post there are not nearly enough symbols and included images for most purposes except very simple and short infographics.
I used the 800 pixel wide option. However that was a mistake on my part. Why? As I progressed I kept adding more to the picture and because of that the final size got very large. Unfortunately there is no way to know the final size until you publish it. My final product was a little bit over 2 MB, 2.36 MB to be exact, and that is way too much. As a matter of fact even this website couldn’t handle such a big image so I had no choice but to reduce the size and density to even show it here. So next time I might opt for the minimum 600 pixel wide version. That way the final size will be more in line with faster loading.
Oh yes, when I got ready to publish it I got a warning message that the size was too large and to use a smaller size. I was lucky that it actually created a file in the editing program even with the size too big message. Had it not all that work (and it was a lot of work) would have been in vain.
Because the large size of the file of the finished infographic was really too large for practical use I resized the image to 600 pixels wide in a graphics program. I thought all was OK until I took a look at the resized image. A lot of my text got shifted over too far and the 600 pixel version is barely passable. Actually not so, because I was going to submit the graphic to a website for distribution. But now I wont.
So lesson learned. Use the minimum 600 pixel width in most cases to make a smaller size image. Another big problem I found out was the program I use for shrinking image size won’t handle images over 2 MB so I could not shrink it like I hoped. I suppose I could incrementally shrink it until the program would accept it, but I’d still have the offset problem of any text that gets shifted in the resizing.
Here is my second infographic, a reduced size version of it.
I will probably make another short infographic. Maybe it will be on another topic, not sure. That’s it for today. I think I will watch a movie tonight and take a break from all the hours I’ve spent on these two infographics the past few days.